Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

If you give a mouse a cookie...


Okay, so hopefully you all know that children’s book, “If you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask for a glass of milk.  When you give him the milk, he’s going to ask for a straw"…and it goes on and on and on.  Well, that was me this weekend with the wreath.  I finished the wreath that I was sick of working on, so I wanted to hang it on the door to admire it.  I hung it on the door and all I saw was a pretty wreath hanging on an ugly orangey-peachy-brownish door.  So I decided to paint the door, you know, to go with the wreath.  Well, since I had to get all the painting supplies out anyway, and since I was already at Lowes looking at paint colors, I decided to go ahead and paint our nightstands that I’d been meaning to do for a while now.  And that will bring us to today’s blog post.  Yep.  Basically this weekend consisted of me handing the baby over to Matt, while I was scurrying around trying to get as much done as I possibly could. 


I’m pretty proud of these nightstands because they originally came from craigslist.  I love craigslist.  I think these were $30, for both.  And actually, they weren’t even technically nightstands, they were office storage.  The inside shelves are still labeled things like “outgoing mail” and “copies”.  (I leave the labels there because I think they’re funny)  Anyway, when I bought them they had been spray painted brown.  I actually didn’t mind the brown, but I knew I would eventually paint them a different color.  They aren’t anything fancy, or finely crafted, but that’s what makes the painting fun.  No pressure, if you totally mess up, you’re out $30 and go back to putting the alarm clocks on upside-down laundry baskets, which is what we used until I found these babies. 

So I went with a color called La Fonda Ortiz Gold.  I’ll be honest.  I picked it purely because of the name.  My door, by the way, was painted Purple Basil, and I only needed one quart of each color.  So after the color was chosen, I headed over to the hardware section.  I was tremendously disappointed with the selection at Lowes, I couldn’t find a single pull handle that I liked.  I did, however, find some knobs that were okay.  Since the original hardware was a pull handle, I just bought two knobs for each door, and I’m really happy with the way they turned out.  The four knobs together remind me of buttons on a pea coat.  So I’m very pleased with my mini-renovations this week, and now I’m going to start thinking about next weekend.


Before


The painting begins!


Almost done!


After


Another after photo












5 comments:

KatGraham said...

These look great! You did a wonderful job! When are you coming up to redesign my rooms?

Ali said...

They look wonderful!! When are you goubg to help me with a headboard?

Chuck said...

Good transformation of the night stand, the handles really give it a good look. Liked your wreath in the earlier post too!

Lisa said...

Those look really awesome! I really like the knobs!

Anonymous said...

Love that color! What is the paint brand and color name?

Post a Comment