Your Nav Bar Here

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day!

I haven't posted much this week because honestly, I haven't really had anything worth posting about.  I've been catching up on house stuff and Elin is crawling EVERYWHERE.  I've been baby wrangling like crazy, in addition to the crawling, my kid doesn't sleep.  She sleeps at night, which I LOVE, but she doesn't nap during the day.  A good nap-day will consist of two half hour naps.  I'm jealous of those of you with babies that take two or three hour naps at a time.  That means you, Ali.  :-)

Anyway, I do have something to blog about today because it's Veteran's Day!  This is a very important day that I think should get more attention.  It's especially meaningful to me because my grandpa, George Graham is a WWII veteran.  Recently, my home town newspaper wrote an article about my grandpa that I would like to share on my blog today.  It's hard for me to picture the kind, gentle man that I know as my grandpa in a situation as gruesome and ugly as war.  But he did it, and our country is better for it.  Here is his story:


George Graham--Forward Observer Scout

"Combat war is bad," said World War II veteran George Graham.  


Graham quit college at the Missouri University at Columbia in December 1942, and enlisted in the regular Army and chose to be in field artillery. He felt this would be his most valuable service using what he had learned as a member of the ROTC at college.


He was sent to Ft. Sill, Okla. for three months of boot camp from December to February. He said the boot camp wasn't much of a challenge for a farm boy, but the wind sure blew cold in Oklahoma. He thought he was living pretty high on that $25 a month.

He was transferred to the 691st Field Artillery at Ft. Sill for a year of training. His next stop was across the border at Camp Howze, Texas. Camp was a few tar paper huts in open desert. "This was a staging area to separate the ones who would make it and after they had us weeded out, the ones left got training poured on," Graham said. It was hot in Texas and he had to work long hours.

After the specialized training, Graham and his battalion were loaded on trucks and taken to the railroad station. He found himself speeding along on a train and wound up at Camp Myles Standish near Boston, Mass. Here he was rushed through a mass of inspections, classes and training. Medics were busy sharpening their needles and he was given shots. It was a busy three weeks.

They prepared for port knowing "THIS IS IT." They left Camp Myles Standish on a Railroad Troop Train and after a few hours boarded ship. In August, after D-Day in June 1941, they crossed the English Channel and landed at Omaha Beach at Cherbourg, France. They were put aboard Landing Ship Tanks and dropped in convoys onto the beach. The roar of the battle and artillery was overwhelming.

Graham had been promoted to a scout in forward observation. His duty was to help direct the fire. He spent a lot of time looking through a BC Scope -- a powerful binocular. He carried binoculars which had to be under his field jacket when not in use. A glint of sunlight off the glass made him an instant target for a German gun. He was in the A Battery of the 691st Field Artillery Battalion. There were three gun batteries in a battalion with 4 guns in each battery making 12 howitzers in all. The battalion also included headquarters battery who sent orders to the guns and service battery which provided supplies.

They camped in the hedge rows of France for a few days and regrouped before being moved up to the front lines to fight. The forward observing crew consisted of the scout, radio operator and a lieutenant. Graham said he lost three lieutenants during his time of service. It was a dangerous and stressful time. They supported a lot of divisions, but most of the time was spent with the 84th Infantry Division.

"War is fought day and night. There is no stopping," Grahm said. Tears glinted in Graham's eyes as he remembered. "It was a foxhole war. We crawled on our bellies in combat. Since I was out front of the battery, many days I was hungry because all the food I got was what I could carry and if I couldn't get back to camp, I didn't eat."

When they crossed the Rhine River on a pontoon bridge, they relieved a unit of British commandos. They were assisting the 9th Army at this time. One night, a 50-man combat patrol took all night liberating a city having crawled across a blown-out bridge to get there. They had been up all night getting there, and after the liberation, a man came running to greet them. They were so happy to see Americans and be liberated from the German occupation.

There was a church nearby where Catholic nuns had patients. They made a place for the troops to sleep in the basement and fed them before they left. Next morning it was back to war.

Once they camped in an apple orchard and were terrified when German V-2 rockets came over low. "They buzzed and made a pulsing sound and at night had flames. A horrible sight," Graham said.
The Battle the Bulge began just before Christmas. "I can still hear the roar of guns, tanks, and artillery in my mind -- some noises and images are burned into it. I could feel the concussion of the ground," he said. Their Christmas packages never did catch up with them.

Somehow, Graham's battalion was cut off. The Germans went through the line on their right and cut off supplies. They were firing behind them. They still had some communication and were given orders to destroy the guns if the Germans came. The Germans didn't come, but they were isolated for two weeks without any supplies, food, or ammunition. There was a foot of snow on the ground. They slept in old fox holes, or bombed-out buildings, anything to get a bit of protection. "I went for three or four days without a bite of food. Finally, a British unit showed up and shared food, drinks, crackers."

"I had great admiration for the medics," Graham said. "They showed brave action in the care of the wounded. There was a tent field hospital in the area with a medic. I spent a week in one with frozen feet."

The last big battle Graham remembers was called the Dortmund Pocket. "We had several thousand German troops in a pocket of land and had them surrounded on all sides. Some eventually surrendered, but many chose to fight to the end. It was a tough place to be, but I was just doing my job."

After the war was over, Graham was discharged in 1946. He returned home and married Sibyl Tolman at Rogersville, Mo., June 6, 1948. He graduated from MU in 1949 with a master's degree in dairy production in 1950. He taught veterans at Braymer in 1950-'51 and moved to Nevada in 1964, to become director of the University Extension Center in Vernon County. He retired from the Extension in 1985.

Graham was born and grew up on a farm near Fair Grove, Mo., and learned to milk cows by hand at an early age. Even though that wasn't his favorite job, he preferred it to combat fighting in war. The Grahams have three sons and one daughter and are enjoying retirement in Nevada.




Thank you to Naomi Foreman and the Nevada Daily Mail for celebrating Grandpa's story.  And most importantly, thank you to my Grandpa Graham for being a hero, I'm so proud to be your granddaughter and I don't think any of us can thank you enough.  I love you!

2 comments:

KatGraham said...

What a great story! I'm so glad you shared it on your blog, too.

Danielle said...

I enjoyed reading this story also. Over this last weekend I found a post card from Ft. Sill of Medicine man bluff (where geronimo supposedly jumped off with his horse and escaped the us cavalry) Anyway, in high school I repelled off that cliff so I bought the card. It was written by a Norman Webb who was at ft sill in the 691st at the same time as your grandpa. While this story had nothing to do with that, researching it a little led me here, thanks for posting this and thanks to your grandpa!

Post a Comment