Your Nav Bar Here

Monday, November 8, 2010

Speaking of cheap crap, I mean crafts…



I made these this weekend.  It’s been a few days, I know.  I was sick last week, which really sucked, and then we had an unproductive, lazy, nothing-to-do weekend.  We haven’t had one of those weekends in a long time, so it was nice. 

I did however try a new craft project this weekend that I saw on Martha Stewart.  In the spirit of my previous post, I decided to make these Christmas Trees out of recycled magazines.  I chose these because they’re cheap to make.  Really cheap.  Like, all you need is an old magazine cheap.  It’s a lot of folding, but that comes in handy when your husband is watching his fourth show about sharks in a row.  In fact, I think it was the shark marathon that inspired me to go looking for a craft in the first place.  Anyway, these were really easy and pretty quick.  And we’ve already established that they’re cheap.  The only drawback is that I’m just not sure how I feel about them. 


As Amy said last week, Crafting is about recycling old materials and reforming them into simple somethings that nobody needs”.  Well put, Amy.  I’m not really sure what I was expecting, they definitely look like old magazines that have been folded, and they are conical in shape, sort of like Christmas trees I guess.  They just don’t look like Martha’s.  I know I haven’t painted them or anything, I’m not sure if I want to spend the money on the paint.  I made three of them, I think with each new one I was hoping it would look cooler than the first one.  I used 3 different sizes of magazines, and you really can’t tell much of a difference.  I don’t know.  I’ll let you know if I decide to take the next step and paint them.  Otherwise, they might be the prettiest magazines in the recycling bin.  


Hope you all had a nice weekend!






1 comment:

KatGraham said...

Ok, they look great for what they are. In other words...you did a fine job with the task. But, I agree with what you said about not knowing if you want to spend the money to paint them. However, you could brighten an elderly person's day if you paint them, roll them in glitter and give them to a nursing home!

Post a Comment