Your Nav Bar Here

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Aebleskiver or Oxtail? I’ll have both.






 Last night we went to ‘Tucson Meet Yourself’, a festival of ethnic foods, cultures and lots of interesting people.  I definitely had some high expectations because going all the way downtown on a Saturday night takes about an hour and a half with traffic, parking and dodging of drunk college kids.  Luckily those expectations were met, if not exceeded.  The main attraction here, for us anyway, is the food.  


Everywhere you look there are stands selling the most popular cuisines of various countries.  Each stand gives you several options, and most are small portions and small prices ($2-$6).  I loved this because Matt and I just shared one item at each place, letting us taste a lot of different cuisines.  


We had food from Costa Rica, Sweden, the Philippines, Korea, Jamaica and Denmark.  All of it was good, some was better than others.  My favorites were the Filipino noodle/chicken/eggroll dish and the Danish Aebleskiver (sorry Sweden, but there’s only so much you can do with a meatball).  Aebleskivers, from what I understand, are made from a batter that is similar to a buttermilk pancake, but they are round and cooked in special aebleskiver pans.  They are served with powdered sugar and raspberry jam.  Var sa god.  We also had oxtail stew, from Jamaica.  Not my favorite, but now I can say I’ve had oxtail.  There’s also quite a bit of entertainment.  There was the African group on one stage and then an ‘Iron Chef’ competition at another one.  A group of bagpipes marched by us at one point too, which was fun since I just found out that I’m part Scottish.  All of the sudden they sound much less like noise to me.  All in all it was a good night and worth the headache that is Tucson traffic.  Hejda!









3 comments:

KatGraham said...

I love bagpipe music. I think I would have enjoyed the evening.

Jennifer said...

I am very jealous.

Chuck Hancock said...

Your dad just sent me the link to your blog. Very good start, keep them coming. What a great way for us to keep up with you guys.

Post a Comment